Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Father's Love

"See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are." 1 John 3:1

There is something about a father's love for his children. In the month that we have been in Thailand, I have seen beautiful glimpses of fathers' love for their children.

One Sunday, we were enjoying the singing of two young students during the church service. The girl was the daughter of one of the hospital's staff, the chaplain and when necessary, a translator. After Lea pointed out that she was his daughter, we looked over to see this father looking very proudly upon his daughter up there singing. You could even see his lips move to the songs of the word as he was encouraging her along.

When patients come to the hospital, especially from the refugee camps, a family member, or sometimes the entire family, accompanies them. It is their responsibility to prepare the patient's meals and often they care for their loved one by assisting them to and from the bathroom and bathing. (This in itself has been incredible to witness, family members do not take this responsibility lightly.) A few weeks ago we admitted this young boy, pictured. We quickly fell in-love with him and from this picture and his sheepish smile it is easy to why. :) He arrived with his father and although his mother and younger brother arrived the next day, it was a rare entity to catch him out of the loving arms of his father.

In addition to this verse, the hymn How Deep the Father's Love has been rummaging through my mind lately.
How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son

To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away

As wounds which mar the chosen One,

Bring many sons to glory


Behold the Man upon a cross,

My sin upon His shoulders

Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,

Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there

Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished


I will not boast in anything

No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ

His death and resurrection


Why should I gain from His reward?

I cannot give an answer

But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

1 comment:

  1. This is a real stab in the dark, but do you now if there is a translation of "How Deep The Father's Love for Us" in S'gaw Karen? We are working with some of these refugees in our church.

    http://firstbaptistmarshall.com/when/our-karen-ministry/

    ReplyDelete